Work Experience in Year 10 and Year 12
A lot of local employers run centralised work experience schemes. Earlier applications are encouraged. Make sure you check their application opening date in advance. Here are some schemes open for Work Experience applications:
Work Experience at Ashton House, Bristol
Mission Systems News
For students who are interested in pursuing a career in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
A group of our Apprentices and Graduates will be running a week-long Work Experience programme in June/July 2024 at Ashton House in Bristol. The programme is open to students in school years 10 and 11.
To apply, students need to provide the following to MissionSystemsEarlyCareers@babcockinternational.com
- CV and Covering Letter
- Date(s) available for Work Experience
Applications for Work Experience will close on Friday 12 January 2024.
Wessex water – applications open October 2023 – engineering and construction ; corporate business ; science and the environment. Link is here
University of Bristol. Faculty of Science -applications open November 2023 – check here
- General Life Sciences (session covering Cellular Medicine, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology, Neuroscience, Psychology, Biological Sciences involving research methodology and experiments)
- Biological Sciences (Nematode research project)
- Engineering: Technical WEX (practical on-campus activities exploring the field of engineering and the technical services team)
- Biological Sciences: Life in the lab. Experience the variety and learn the skills of the life of a laboratory technician
- Biochemistry (explore human genetics, extract DNA, diagnose diabetes and carry out forensic crime scene analysis)
- Animal minds: Evolution and Behaviour
- Green planet: Plants and Ecosystems
- Engineering (Experience sessions in Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and Engineering Maths)
- Earth Sciences (from volcanology, geophysics to Palaeontology, Deep Earth and Planets)
- Biological Sciences: Life in the lab. Experience the variety and learn the skills of the life of a laboratory technician)
University of Bristol. Faculty of Engineering. Applications open in autumn 2024. More information here
University of Bath offers work experience placements within the following career pathways:
- Hospitality − for example: Front of House
- Nursery − for example: Nursery Nurse
- Health & Fitness − for example: Sports Assistant
- Gardening & Grounds − for example: Groundsperson
- Facilities & Property Management− for example: Workshop, Cleaner, Porter
- University careers − for example: Research Assistant, Library, Technical Services
- Corporate careers − for example: HR, Marketing, Finance, Student Recruitment
- Digital careers − for example: Cyber Security, IT Architecture, Service Management
The application window for places in summer 2024 will open later in the year. Visit: https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/work-experience-at-the-university-of-bath/ for more information.
Check here for application opening times and types of roles available.
More information about heir work experience offer is here.
You should apply 4-6 months before planned work experience week.